Chocolate Pecan Pie

4:14 PM


Here in the South during the holidays there are certain desserts that you just know will be at almost every family dinner. One of them is the must have, pecan pie.

Pecan trees are a'plenty here and while some make their way through heavily leaved yards and gather them, most of us resort to the grocery store for a bag or two of super expensive pecans already de-shelled.




Today, in preparation for Christmas, I made a pecan pie for the first time. Yeah, yeah, I know....37 years old with 4 kids and this was the first time ever making a pie that is a staple in southern households? Why yes. Don't judge me.



When I decided to make this pie, I asked my mom for her recipe. Do you know what she told me? (Of course you don't, that is why I am going to tell you.)

My mama told me, "Go get a bottle of Karo, it's on the back. Add an extra egg".

So I got myself a bottle of Karo and did just that.

I added chocolate chips to the bottom of the pie and instant hit.

When I say my kids loved it....only a video of their reactions would accurately portray it. They were in love. They kept telling me it was a hit.

I guess, this will definitely go into rotation but man, I wish I had a pecan tree.


Recipe adapted from Karo Syrup

1 cup Karo Light or Dark Corn Syrup
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) pecans
1 (9-inch) unbaked or frozen deep-dish pie crust
1 cup Chocolate Chips

Mix all your ingredients in a large bowl, except the chocolate. Mix well.





Place your chocolate chips at bottom of the pie crust and pour over your wet mixture.






Bake for 1-2 hours until middle has a slight spring. Your pie should not 'jiggle'. If it does, it need to bake more.  Now if you are all cool and stuffs, you can use your food thermometer to check the center. If it is at 200 degrees, it is done.

Allow the pie to cool and settle.

Serve with ice cream of some amazing whipped cream.




If adding leaves to the center, simply cut them out, bake them separately without being on the pie. Once the pie as a crusty-like top, place the leaves in the center. That way they do not sink into the pu but cook into it without burning.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook