Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

1:17 PM

I absolutely love this time of year. Back when I was younger, Thanksgiving meant we ate the EXACT same thing, every single Thanksgiving, every single year. It never failed. My mom's menu never ever changed, as did none of the other menus here in the deep south.

Now that I am older and in more control over Thanksgiving, my mom still is the boss and head cook, but she does allow me to help her. That means trying new things and me being responsible for making those new things. I like variety and change. Of course, there are staples I just can not do with out, like cornbread dressing...but everything else can be replaced, removed, revamped, etc.

So while I may be the one bringing variety to the table, my traditional mom surprised me one holiday and made these cute individual 'sweet potato casseroles' by way of naming them 'Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes'. I have never been a fan of sweet potatoes so this was a shock that I liked these. But I have discovered, as I get older, my picky palate becomes less picky....or should I just say more matured.




You will need:
Mini Marshmallows (or make your own)
1 Sweet potato
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg/cinnamon mixed
1/2 tsp butter

In an oven bake your sweet potatoes at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cut a slit at the top of your potato and begin scooping the inside out using a spoon. Leave a thin coating of the sweet potato inside so it does not tear.

In bowl, mix the ingredients, minus the marshmallows, in a bowl. Add more sugar to taste. Mix well and scoop back into the potato.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes and then top with marshmallows. Bake for about 3 more minutes or until marshmallows brown or begin to melt. Serve warm.

This recipe makes one potato, adjust measurements by doubling, tripling, etc to make larger batches.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook