Gumbo Round Up....

2:41 PM



Here in the South, when it starts cooling off, all the pots come out. No more humid and sweaty summers swatting 'squitos and box fans, we gear up for soup and stew season.

It is still somewhat hot down here, but occasionally we get a cool breeze and witness a few leaves falling to the ground. That is more than enough reason for us to get ready for fall and winter and start gearing our pots up for warm gooey, soupey, stewey goodness.

One of our staples at my house during the cooler months, is gumbo.  It is a cajun dish with a roux base and loaded with okra, tomatoes, shrimp, chicken and sausage.

It is not the easiest dish to photograph, but oh it is so comforting. We usually serve with some saltine crackers and with some rice.

Here are some that have caught my eye on the internet. Hopefully, I will photograph some this fall and share my mom's recipe for it with you. Until then, consider adding this to your fall and winter meal rotation.

This looks so much like the one my mom makes. Oh yeah. Recipe over at The Gridiron Girl's Guide to the Good Life.


Oh look! Pretty! This one seems a bit thicker than what we serve in the south, but oh it looks like it would be heaven with some rice! Recipe at Saveur for chicken and sausage gumbo.


I like that this is called "Gumbo-laya". Two winter and fall favorites in one! Recipe can be found at The Cozy Apron.


This one right here....ohhhhh weeee. Crab added, why yes, sir!  A nice seafood gumbo recipe from Leite's Culinaria

I can't wait to make my own this fall. My kids have already asked me when the chili, chicken and dumplings and gumbo are going to be made. I guess they are ready for fall too.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook