Old Fashioned Butter Rolls

10:09 AM



I took a trip to Chicago this past weekend for a commercial shoot. On my way back, I had the pleasure of sitting next to a nice young man. I usually do not talk, but somehow we started a conversation and of course, it led to talking about food. He was from the South like me, and shared with me one of his favorite desserts. He said his mother, who had passed, would make him and his brothers Butter Rolls.

I was confused at first. He was talking about desserts but I was picturing something like yeast rolls in my head. He told me that he still had an aunt that would make them and called her right then and there so she could share her recipe with me.

It was a beautiful thing. From what I have heard since learning about these, this was a dessert that many would make using the scraps leftover from making biscuits. It is complete with a sweet milk sauce that you cover over the rolls.  It is sort of like cinnamon rolls, but it uses biscuit dough.

You will need:

Dough
3 cups of self rising flour
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of milk

Sauce
2 cups milk
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling
3 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Sugar
4 tsbp butter


To begin making your dough, pour your flour in your mixing bowl. Using your hands ( or you can use a food processor) begin crumbling the butter into the flour. I place the butter in the flour and squeeze it over and over until it crumbles into the flour.




Once butter is crumbled into the flour, make a hole in the middle of the flour. Slowly add in 1/2 cup of milk. Take the flour and fold it over on top of the milk and pat down. The milk will escape but absorb into the flour, make another hole and fill with more milk. Repeat the process until you have a nice dough forming. Remove from bowl and on a floured surface, begin kneading.

Roll out your dough to about a half an inch thick. Trim sides. While butter is at room temperature, spread it evenly over the dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.





Begin rolling. Slice into rolls.

Place rolls in nonstick baking pan.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until golden brown at the top.

In sauce pan, add in your milks and butter, Cook on meduim for 15 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat.

Once rolls are brown, remove from oven, pour milk mixture over them and bake for 10-15 more minutes. Serve warm.





*I placed mine back in the oven for the sauce to thicken. I had removed it too early for photos. It did thicken and was really good!



Since this is still new to me, I would love to try some recipes for Butter Rolls if you have any! Feel free to share! I have heard they can be made different ways.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook